some time last autumn i found backslash.cc
As part of their Masters Thesis at NYU, Pedro Olivera and Xuedl Chen designed and built a series of components for a Protester’s kit.
- A Bandana to defend against facial recognition technologies
- An Off-grid Router
- a “Panic Button” to alert other users that an area is becoming dangerous/compromised
- a Drive to store crowd-loaded imagery/video whilst at the same time anonymising any meta-data
- a signal jammer to enable users to shoot video/take pictures with mobile devices without the risk of external compromisation by surveillance devices etc.
- a good old graffiti stencil to alert users that an area is possibly compromised by state surveillance devices
“the modern protester believes that connectivity is a basic human right”
sadly, there are no plans to commercially or otherwise mass produce this equipment, it’s inspiration for anyone with the maker skills to put it together.